Thursday, October 13, 2005

Malkuno Zcuro

From my inbox:

"I have read your Sep. 24th entry in your blog on the Aramaic (Syriac) language.The following book might be of special interest to linguists:

"Malkuno Zcuro" Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's "Le Petit Prince" (The Little Prince) in modern Aramaic language (Tur Abdin dialect) spoken in South East Turkey was printed in Germany and will be available in November 2005. The text is printed in Aramaic script (Syriac) with Latin transcription.

The book also contains vocabularies in German, French, English, Turkish as well as in Swedish. BTW "Malkuno" means "prince". It is said to be the first book printed in modern Aramaic ("Suret") worldwide."


Checking back to my Sept. 24 post and comparing the name of the script,

Aramaya ܐܪܡܝܐ
Suryaya ܣܘܪܝܝܐ

I find that the Syriac script cover of this book is labeled 'Syriac', while the Latin transcription is labeled 'Aramaic'. That makes sense.

Addendum:

Here is another interesting website on "The Little Prince", a collection of translations in 142 languages and dialects.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your browser play games with the Aramaya and Suraya scripts, if you try to selects parts of them? It's kind of fun.

(By select I mean that you press down your mouse button & roll the mouse over to paint part of the text for copying & pasting.)

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Syriac is a right to left script, called by Unicode, bidirectional or bidi, since script directions are sometimes mixed.

Therefore cursor behaviour is quite different from in left to right text. I hear that it is difficult to edit bidi text. I just use trial and error.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the transcription of title should be "Malkuno Zeuro", not "Malkuno Zcuro". It's hard to tell whether it's a "c" or an "e" in the script on the second image, and also the "kaph" and "e" are quite similar in the first image, but ܙܥܘܪܐ makes more sense as "little".

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would so love to have this book! Do you have any idea where I can order a copy?

1:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are interested in more versions of the Little Prince, please visit my website at www.petit-prince.at which displays my collection of currently 152 languages and dialects.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home