Sunday, June 12, 2005

Unicode Marches On

It is always good to keep up with Unicode so I found this post on Ken Arnold's blog of interest.

He refers to the newly encoded Shavian alphabet which is a system for writing English invented in memory of George Bernard Shaw. I have just bought an old copy of The Miraculous Birth of Language by R. A. Wilson of the University of Saskatchewan, (yes I have to put in this little plug for Canada) with a preface by G. B. Shaw, where he proposes the invention of a new script for English.

Since Shaw wrote this preface in 1941, it is understandable that he included this comment which I rather like,

I found myself considering seriously, especially when
the German airmen dropped a bomb near enough to
shake my house, whether I had better not end my
days in Vancouver, if not Saskatoon.


More about Shaw and the Shavian alphabet later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Leman said...

Suzanne, you may already be familiar with SIL's NRSI (Non-Roman Script Initiative) and its collaborative efforts with the Unicode consortium (or whatever it is call). Just in case you are not, here is a url from which you can do some rooting around:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&cat_id=TypeDesignResources

BTW, thanks for answering my question on my blog about how you have gotten Greek characters to display within standard English plain text.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home