Monday, June 06, 2005

Why Abecedaria?

I could have called this The Writing System Blog but it seemed a little too presumptuous. What about the Glyph-based Input Blog - a little too much like a bee in the bonnet.

I want to write about writing systems as concrete realities with a physical organization, something that can be seen, felt, and perceived in the most tangible way. Ever heard of kindergarten teachers cutting letters out of sandpaper for those students who need multisensory input - where is sandpaper when you need it?

I guess abecedaria is about characters in a writing system being primarily glyphs and secondarily abstract codepoints. WYSIWYG input - makes sense to me. This is how I edit the website I am responsible for. Sure I view code once in a while to tidy things up and I don't believe code is too hard for me, but it is easier to start with WYSIWYG.

Oh, and by the way, I also intend to read through four shelves of books on writing systems in the university library nearest to me over the next 5 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home