Monday, June 27, 2005

Writing System Typology

Edited List of Resources on Writing Systems Classification.

Bringhurst, Robert
Poser, William
Rogers, Henry
Sproat, Richard

Original Post Below

Warning: Writing system terminology on this site may be dangerous to your health. It is being used experimentally, experientially, momentarily, temporarily and sometimes even playfully.

"The main problem with blogs is that, as far as Google is concerned, they masquerade as useful information when all they contain is idle chatter," wrote Roddy.


I won't deny that this site is mostly idle chatter but I thought I would provide a little useful information in passing.


For a formal classification of writing systems visit the lecture hall of Richard Sproat . He provides a thorough and well-illustrated page on writing system typology, which he is has subtitled "Crude Taxonomies". I have chosen to post Richard Sproat's page since a) it is the most detailed I can find, b) he has a very robust and current internet presence, c) I enjoyed his article on Indic scripts; and d) I asked him if I could. (I guess I didn't need to ask but I didn't want to walk in on his course uninvited.)

Andreas Goppold also offers a typology of writing systems. Andrew Wilson makes his notes available and so on. Gary Feng, whose blog, Shadow, I follow with interest, has created a list of books on writing systems. A full review of World's Writing Systems by Peter T. Daniels can be read here. There are also the books listed in the sidebar from Omniglot.

If anyone has a great internet resource on writing systems to add please comment.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bridget Samuels said...

Wow, what a cool blog! I just found you through LanguageHat and will definitely keep reading.

It's certainly nothing remotely resembling a "great resource," but I will mention that I have posted a PDF of my handout from a talk at Harvard in April about Akkadian orthography, based on a new typology of writing systems that Bill Poser has developed.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home