Saturday, September 10, 2005

Greek and Hebrew

When I was commenting on someone else's blog last spring I put in a few words in Greek, one of them was 'οορς', so you know it wasn't anything profound. I was later asked how to keyboard polytonic (Classical) Greek, with all the breathing and accents. At the time I had a computer with about 12 different language keyboards installed so I just clicked on my language bar and switched keyboards, a bit cumbersome, but I was working on it. Now I use one of those little input utilities listed in my sidebar.

It is not so difficult to input classical Greek if you happen to be one of those people who can keep track of accents that serve no practical purpose, which I am not. The problem is how to make them display properly in blogger. These are matters beyond my ken. I am following the topic on other blogs.

The Better Bibles Blog posted Blog Experiments: Hebrew and Greek Unicode
Sorting it All Out had a recent post Getting at those Hebrew Vowels.

Each of these posts refers to other webpages which I haven't had time to investigate. The plain truth is that I am happy with Modern Greek and Hebrew orthography standards and have decided I can live without accents and points for now. But one day when I have some spare time on my hands I will return to these pages and mosey around.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bridget Samuels said...

I (on a Mac) use GreekKeys. It's really simple and intuitive. My only complaint is that I have a hard time seeing which direction the accents & breathing go when I'm typing in a normal point size. I think the polytonic stuff shows up properly on Blogger for anyone who has the proper unicode materials installed.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really cheered me up. I thought I was the only one who had to use a larger font for Greek and Hebrew. I am not working on my own computer right now - no extra language support installed, but I can see everything the Better Bibles Blog has posted except the Hebrew accents, the vowels are okay.

I have visited a few Classical Greek sites and on some I can see the accents and on others not. Some day I'll track it down.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

Windows XP allows you to type Greek Polytonic by adding the appropriate keyboard layout.
Typing in Greek Polytonic in WinXP is a bit of a mess, as you cannot stack dead keys; for three accents, you need 3! (3 factorial=6) dead keys to cover all combinations.

In Linux the situation is better, as you can stack dead keys.
See:

http://planet.hellug.gr/misc/polytonic/
http://simos.info/blog/?p=342
Works by default again (select Polytonic in the settings).

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Simon, I will do a little homework on this and get back to you.

Suz

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home