Saturday, October 22, 2005

Byzantine Paleography





Byzantine Paleography is a site with many resources on Greek manuscript traditions. I have yet to explore all the pages but wish to record this before I forget. Here is the introduction.

"This page and the linked pages are not directed at those who are already able to read Byzantine MSS with ease, i.e. Paleographers, a skilled and erudite group of scholars. Rather the goal here is to present basic discussions, images, and a few useful tools to those who are interested in how we come to gain knowledge about the past, and to those just starting out with work on manuscripts. "

I was immediately attracted to a few pages with charts, my favourite venue for organizing information, on Greek Letter Forms, Greek Letter Combinations (Ligatures, etc.) and Common Abbreviations.

While it may seem repetitive, I am posting the page of Bergekios' manuscript again but in a larger format. I hope that with this page open and enlarged and the many pages of Greek ligatures available, this will start to look more familiar to me.

Later, I will scan in few pages of ligatures and abbreviations from the books I have here. I also need to remind myself that I am working here with a manuscript from the 16th century, a manuscript that coexisted with the age of print.

Addendum: I am not sure how to get the size of image that I want posted in blogger. I will be working on this again over the next few days. PS. I think that is readable now.

Bibliography (wil be added to):

Greek Letters: From Tablets to Pixels edited by Michael Macrakis, 1996, Oak Knoll Press, New Castle, Delaware. ISBN 1-884718-27-2

1 Comments:

Blogger Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home