Sunday, December 04, 2005

Scalable Vector Graphics

When I asked about missing characters the other day Simos sent this comment about Webfonts, SVG and the new Firefox 1.5.

You can follow the tutorial at w3.org,http://www.w3.org/International/O-MissCharGlyphFor missing fonts in the system, you may specify a Webfont (downloaded dynamically) or even use SVG fonts.

The new version of Mozilla Firefox 1.5 was released a few days ago and it probably is the first browser with SVG support. Have a look at the sample page with SVG fonts, athttp://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/text.shtml

I will take time to absorb some of this but I am trying to familiarize myself with some of these ideas. There have been many things that I thought I would never try but I have ended up familiar with; so I'm thinking about this.

I ended up reading on this page.

SVG: Scalable Vector Graphics, a new, completely open standard recommended and developed by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), the development of which is seconded by many notable software groups and scientific communities. SVG offers all the advantages of Flash, the de-facto standard of the day (refer to above), plus the following features: embedded fonts, extensible markup language (XML), stylesheets (CSS), interactivity and animation. With the help of the DOM, full HTML compatibility is obtained. For a more detailed description, please go to the main section of this article.

Embedded fonts and extensible markup language. Yes, I think this relates. The best thing about this page is that it really spells things out. Each acronym actually comes with the full name written after it. How cool is that. Now I finally know what pdf means!

It also spells out the difference between 'de jure 'standards and 'de facto' standards. I think I figured that out but now I have a nice Latin way to express it.

And on to this page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home