Sunday, December 04, 2005

Hebrew Online Keyboard with Vowels

I was back visiting the Lesser Of Two Weevils to pick up a few tips on how she can input and display Hebrew vowels so easily. I found this online keyboard with vowels. How cool is that! I don't want to lose it since I have been looking for one for ever so here it is.

And she has a post which may elucidate the Golem legend. Here is an excerpt from her post on the The Power of the Word. (This also gives me a chance to input and display Hebrew.) The topic of her post is the word דִבְּר diber, 'to speak', from dabar 'word'. The point is that this is a keyboard that takes no time to learn, just click around. Okay, so it is a picker. It works.

Here is Talmida on 'the word'.

In finishing my translation in 2 Kings 14 I ran into an expression that I found very satisfying.

Verse 27 begins,

וְלֹא-דִבֶּר יְהוָה לִמְחוֹת אֶת-שֵׁם יִשְׂרָאֵל
/v'lo-diber adonai limhhot et-shem yisrael.
Word for word, that works out to this: and not - he spoke the Lord to erase name of Israel.This spoke (no pun intended) to me in a very powerful way.

One of the things that I feel drawing me (calling me?) to study Hebrew is that the Hebrew words themselves are important -- not just their meanings, but the words. I'm not quite sure how--and I don't think I'm ready to study Kabbalah just yet--but I sense that there is something just beyond my grasp and that the way to reach it is to master Biblical Hebrew, and when that's done, I will see my way clear to the next step God wants me to take. I've blogged about this a bit before.

This passage resonated so powerfully with me I want to shout it out! The verb diber means, to speak. The noun form, davar, means word, thing, affair. If you look in a modern Hebrew New Testament, the Gospel of John tells us that "in the beginning was davar". There's a reason for that.

The most common English translations have a similar spin on this verse of 2 Kings:

And the LORD said not that he would blot out the name of Israel (KJV)
But the LORD had not said that he would blot out the name of Israel (NRSV)
And the Lord did not say that he would blot out the name of Israel (D-R)

But check out the Judaica Press version:
And the Lord did not speak to eradicate the name of Israel (JPCT)


Thanks, Talmida.

I have not forgotten Syriac, or the Delphi tablet, but unfortunately those posts are a little more work since they require images. Sorry.

2 Comments:

Blogger Talmida said...

I actually downloaded and installed Hebrew keyboard software. It's called Biblical Hebrew (Tiro) and I just switch between Hebrew and English (and French) on my task bar.

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Talmida,

That makes more sense if you use it all the time. FIrst, I am trying to collect an online input utiity for a wide varitey of scripts so thay can be used on third party computers. Then I want to find the downloadable software. So I guess I want both.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out. BTW I am enjoying reading your blog.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home