Sunday, July 03, 2005

Greek Contextual Shaping

Greek has a variant form for the final s. However, it turns out that β and ζ also have an initial/non-initial distinction. This can be seen (with a magnifying glass, I might add) in the names Hezekias and Zorobabel; and in Babylon.

You can view the full text of this version of the The Greek New Testament, Stephanus 1550 Received Text with 7678 textual variant notes, containing all the readings of four printed editions at the Bibles Repository hosted by Bibles.org.uk . Thanks to John Hudson for mentioning this resource on the Unicode list (Sun Jul 03 2005 - 20:46:18 CDT).

I understand from John Hudson's post that this is an unusual renaissance font and does not represent a standard for modern or classical Greek. The Didot font with contextual shaping can be seen here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

Thank you for mentioning my edition. Only one small comment --- you say
that my website is "hosted by Bibles.org". If you check bibles.org
website you will find that it is connected with a commercial
entity like American Bible Society and reference to bibles.org
gets redirected to bibles.com (where Bibles are not free but can
be purchased for money).

We have no connection with American Bible Society or any other
organization and so please refer to us as Bibles.org.uk
NOT Bibles.org.

The Bibles I have typeset are FREE and will remain free in any foreseeable future.

Kind regards
Tigran

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for pointing this out. I have used the Bible Repository more than once and it is an amzing resource. I have changed the name of the link. I did not realize there were two different sites with such a similar name. I am sure I have never visited the other one.

Suzanne

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home