Sunday, September 25, 2005

Clickable

It's neat to see that Roman Numerals have their own codepoints.

I have to post this before I forget it. I have no story prepared to go with this post. It is about wanting to find out what script you are looking at even if you are in an internet café or visiting friends and relatives, and not on your own computer, or don't even own your own computer - maybe you are at work and just have to know that character.

Go to this page Decimal, Hexadecimal Character Codes and paste in the character, then convert it to a hexadecimal codepoint. Then type the hexadecimal codepoint into this page The Unicode Character Code Charts By Script. This page will guide you to the appropriate code chart and you can then discover what you were looking at. In my case I was staring at a blank space. I found that U+0020 was a SPACE character and that there were several other space characters. Imagine different shapes and sizes of blank space. (Actually I do know what some of them do.)

3rdpageSearch makes these nifty multilingual input and search tools. Great! These pages by code.cside.com offer clickable input for the entire Unicode range.

On the other hand don't open these pages at work - they are way too much fun, and these guys/girls are really into soccer/football!

Addenda: I have added an image since it was part of how I wrote the original post but blogger would not accept images at the time that I was posting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babel Map is a component of the Unicode editor, BabelPad, which provides full clickable access to all of the Unicode code points and represents them in a variety of interconvertable ways.

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have BabelMap but I can't download it at work so I thought I would see what substitute I could find on the internet.

Have I been ambiguous in my explanation?

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home