Friday, September 30, 2005

Hôt Cuisine

I drove by a restaurant with this name yesterday and read the sign Hôt Cuisine as Haute Cuisine, and thought about how different Hot Cuisine sounds from Hôt Cuisine. When I googled the restaurant, it was listed as Hot Cuisine on the internet, and serves spicy Eastern dishes. Now I am puzzled, I thought surely this was a play on Haute Cuisine, (probably is) but it works better with the menu if you say Hot cuisine. Hmm. On the other hand maybe it isn't related to French at all and comes from some other language.

Now I really don't know how to pronounce it. I shall have to set up an experiment and say to a friend, "Have you ever eaten at that restaurant at such and such a corner that serves Malaysian food and so on, what is its name, do you remember?"

PS I am really losing it. Yesterdays post was supposed to be titled 'Peter Boodberg'. There is nothing else for it. I will have to read the article again, find a new quote, short and sweet this time, and post it with a link to yesterday's post. What a mess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home