Friday, November 11, 2005

Exploring Christianity

I have been fascinated by how one shape can morph into another for some time. This applies to ancient as well as current writing systems. A while ago I posted on the Hanzi 口 and 十 . I had been thinking at the time of how easily ten in Chinese, morphs into X ten in English. I believe this is pure happenstance, no mysterious theory here, just an observation of how some glyphs, that is shapes, are basic - urglyphs, so to speak.

Here is an example of how X has morphed into a cross t.

(Okay, in century gothic it looks like a cross but it may not otherwise.) In any case I decided to see how many steps it takes to morph the 'x' in 'exploring' into the cross, passing through the Greek letter 'chi' χ on the way.

First I wrote 'exploring', then changed it to 'eχploring'. Next, I made the chi italic so 'eχploring', then I enlarged the chi, 'eχploring'. Then I changed the font to verdana 'eχploring'.

Now I had to paste a screenshot into an image editor and erase three of the crosspieces so that the lower one would appear elongated and create a tilted cross. Then I saved it as an image.

No, I did not do all this out of my own imagination - exactly. I saw a poster which used this effect and wondered how it was done. I followed the link to the exploringchristianity website and saw to my disappointment that this effect is not represented on the website. I am sorry I did not take a photograph of the poster. My image seems fuzzy and amateurish but I assure you that the poster was eχcellent.

Update: I have lost some formatting when I uploaded this post so the italic 'chi' cannot be viewed. It stays stable in Word and I pasted my Word image into the image editor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home