Saturday, April 15, 2006

Additions to the Myanmar Script in Unicode

I was surfing the internet looking for more on the diæresis (note that I have used the more correct U+00E6 today) when I received notification of a proposal that included this dear little thing. Not a diæresis after all, it is the proposed character MYANMAR VOWEL SIGN GEBA KAREN I U+1097.

The usual MYANMAR VOWEL SIGN I is U+102D. (I have just used Babelmap to confirm that I am reading this correctly.)



The argument reads that since both vowel signs can appear together in text, albeit a grammar text, they need to be represented by different codepoints, so the different glyph (shape) can be represented in plain text, and not just by a different font.

The entire document was recently released here. Preliminary proposal for encoding Karen, Shan, and Kayah characters in the UCS.

Here is a text from this document showing the Karen vowel sign I and the Myanmar vowel sign I. I recommend the entire document. Many new characters are proposed.

Update: The previous title 'Myanmar Block Unicode Proposal' was truly terrible. I was thinking that it was the Mayanmar 'block' in Unicode, not necessarily only Myanmar 'users' of the script. Then I went back to change the title and my wonderful spam blocker shut me out of blogger for a while. Thanks Paul for mentioning this.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello,

I think you would be interested in joining www.hypertope.com , which is this new Academic Networking Site...

Joining is free, but by invitation only... but for a brief promotional period only they have opened the gates, so that the initial members join in. After you create your user account, you can invite your colleagues and academic friends. It would also be nice if you could post a blog item about it, so that the word spreads.

all the best

Giselle

11:33 AM  
Blogger Robbie Kunz said...

Hi, I love your blog. I was wondering if you wanted to do a link exchange. My site is over at: Learn That Language Now -- I host free articles, language learning information, tips, tricks and techniques for the fastest language learning around. Feel free to e-mail me at my e-mail address and let me know the URL you want me to link to and any other information about your site. Thanks and keep up the good work!

-Robbie

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Please forgive me if this post is inappropriate, but I couldn’t find a direct email address on your blog. I’m Anton and I’m launching my new blog dealing with language translation issues and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss mutual collaboration. You can contact me if you like at anton [at] icanlocalize {dot} com. Thanks!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Alivox said...

I, too, would like to establish email contact, at www (at) shwah.net.

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool script!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think the new characters proposed in the document have a chance?

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Air Jordan ShoesCheap Air JordanAir Jordan shoes
Air Jordan shoescheap jordan shoesAir Jordan Shoes
Air Jordan Shoeswholesale jordans
Air Jordan shoesAir Jordan shoesWholesale Jordan shoesAir Jordan Shoes
Air Jordan ShoesAir Jordan WholesaleAir Jordan shoes
Air Jordan ShoesJordan Shoes WholesaleAir Jordan shoes
Air Jordan ShoesCheap JordanAir Jordan shoes

Air Jordan shoes Air Jordan shoesjordan shoes
Air Jordan shoesjordans shoes
Cheap Jordans
wholesale jordan
Air Jordan shoes
wholesale air jordan
Nike Jordan Shoes
Nike Shoes Wholesale

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.jordanitems.com

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home